News and Events Tax Preparation Sites Required Forms Interested in Volunteering Home Page Return to Goodwill Industries

Free Tax Preparation - You could be eligible for up to $5,891.00!

What to Bring?

Click to Download this Information as a PDF

  1. 1. Social Security Card for filer(s) AND ANYONE CLAIMED AS A DEPENDENT.  If you don’t have a social security card for yourself, your spouse, or a dependent, we need a letter/form from the Social Security Administration which has the name and social security number on it.
    2. Photo ID for filer(s). 
    3. All W2s, 1098s, and 1099s.
    4. If you are self-employed bring copies of receipts, bills, notebook, or anything that is proof of income and expenses for 2013.
    5. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pays benefits to disabled adults & children who have limited income and resources. Bring your income benefit letter from 2013.
    6. Department of Human Services Cash Assistance pays temporary benefits to pregnant women and low-income families with minor children. Bring your DHS letter from 2013.
    7. If you itemize, bring a copy of your 2012 tax return, copies of any property tax bills paid in 2013, total costs for health insurance/medical expenses, license plate costs and receipts from any group you donated to. 
    8. If you sold stock in 2013, you must provide the cost basis amount if not reported on your 1099B.
    9. Child Care Credit.  Bring the name, address and social security number or Business ID number of the person or center who cared for your child.  Also, bring the bills which show total amount paid in 2013.
    10. Education Credits.  Bring your 1098-T(s) for 2013, a print out of your account summary(s) for 2013, and receipts for all course-related books and materials purchased in 2013.
    11. Energy Efficiency Tax Credits. Bring receipt(s) that show the purchase price and Energy Star compliance. Qualified energy efficient improvements include insulation, exterior windows and doors, metal or asphalt roof, and heating or air conditioning systems. Credit has a lifetime limit so if you have claimed this credit in a prior year bring that years return.
    12. Homestead Property Tax Credit. Homeowners bring 2013 summer and winter tax bills. We MUST see actual bills.  If your taxes are escrowed, or if you cannot find your bills, please contact your village, township, or city treasurer to get copies. Renters’ names have to be on the lease. Renters need to know how much they paid in rent and the name and address of their landlord.
    13. Home Heating Credit. If you have an account with Consumers Energy, bring a bill that shows your 2013 home heating credit amount. This information can be found in the News You Can Use section, or by calling (800) 477-5050. If you have any other energy provider, or use wood, gas, or fuel oil bring in your bills for October 2012 thru September 2013.
    14. Direct Deposit. Bring the account number and routing number of your bank or credit union.

IRS rules state that we are only allowed to prepare taxes for clients whose total household income is less than $52,000.  Also, we are unable to help international taxpayers or taxpayers with military income, rental income, or clients who have businesses with employees, expenses over $10,000, inventory, or incurred a loss in 2013.


Want to do your taxes yourself? Click below to file your state and federal taxes online for free!



Kalamazoo County Free Tax Preparation Free Tax Preparation in Kalamazoo County